Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
29 April 2015

ESB to cap and maintain Poolbeg Chimneys

The ESB will this week initiate essential maintenance work to protect the Poolbeg Chimneys which are now over 40 years old. While electricity generation continues at Poolbeg, the chimneys themselves have not been...

23 April 2015

1660s – Eyrecourt Castle, Co. Galway

Eyrecourt was built by Colonel John Eyre around 1660. Eyre had arrived in Ireland during the Cromwellian Wars and was granted large tracts of land in East Galway for his service to Cromwell....

20 April 2015

1868 – Christian Brothers School, King St., Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin The foundation stone was laid April 19th 1867, with the school opening on March 28th 1868. Designed by George C. Ashlin of Pugin & Ashlin, and later extended to...

17 April 2015

1746 – Port Hall, Lifford, Co. Donegal

Architect: Michael Priestly Built in 1746 for John Vaughan of Buncrana Castle, to designs believed to be by Michael Priestly who also built Lifford Courthouse. Door surmounted by the arms of George II.

16 April 2015

1817 – Lough Cutra Castle, Gort, Co. Galway

Architect: John Nash When the Gort estate was inherited by Colonel Vereker, later Viscount Gort, in 1797, he decided to employ the world renowned architect John Nash to design the Gothic Style building...

16 April 2015

1810 – Rockingham, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John Nash Originally built as a two storey house for General Robert King by John Nash. Considered on of Nash’s finest Classical work in Ireland, it used motifs from previous work in...

07 April 2015

1690s – Barrack Bridge, Dublin

Barrack Bridge was originally a wooden structure built in 1670, and was the second bridge across the river Liffey. During its construction, a number of men attempted to destroy it on several occasions...

07 April 2015

1800 – Former Free Church, Great Charles Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Robbins Originally constructed by the Methodists in 1800 and initially known as ‘Wesley Chapel’. After a split in the congregation in 1816 left it too large for the remaining congregation, it...

02 April 2015

1902 – International Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Henry A. Cutler The 1902 Cork International Exhibition took place on 8 hectares of reclaimed marshland the Mardyke area of Cork, which is now Fitzgerald’s Park. Exhibitions included a Canadian pavilion, art...